01 March 2011

Towards 2016 - Chicken Soup for Soul


On this day, I have decided to start off with something simple. To get thing started, I made chicken soup with drumsticks, garlic and a packet of ready-made spices. It is really the simplest dish because all you really need are time and a slow cooker. Get the water boiled, put in the entire ingredient and leave it for 5 hours. As easy as 1-2-3.

Chicken soup for the day!! It has been a very long time since I cooked. I still remembered back in 2002 where I spent 9 months learning how to cook. I would call it an intensive cooking class back then. There were at least 6 ‘white mice’ who were willingly to taste the food I cooked. During my time back in Newcastle, whatever served on the table for dinner will be finished within minutes. Not because of the tastiness but we just wanted to fill up our stomach. The tough part of the whole 9 months was not the cooking. It was indeed the type of dishes you planned to cook. That was the life I had during my final year of study; great food and good time.

I love soup because it reminds me about life. Heard of the book called Chicken Soup for Soul? There are many series out there with compilation of short stories that touches many souls out there. Thinking what to cook is similar with setting goal. Firstly, the dish is your goal. Secondly, the ingredients are your resources. Thirdly, the processes are the step-by-step instructions. Lastly, to satisfy your taste-buds we need some seasoning. The seasoning is what makes your dishes unique. Everyone might have the same goal but what makes it different is the satisfaction we gain in return. All these required patience, determination and a little passion.

That is my journey of ‘cooking’, how about yours?

No comments: